If you’ve heard me talk about our Churches Loving Schools initiative, you know it’s something I’m truly passionate about. The Spokane Body of Christ continues to step into the incredible opportunities we have to reflect Jesus in our local schools. Mentoring local kids and helping to feed those that are hungry every weekend, we see churches showing their neighborhoods what the love of Christ is.
Our Churches Loving Schools committee has gathered much data on area businesses, organizations, and churches that are coming alongside our Spokane area schools and partnering with them to meet their needs.
With this data in hand, we’ve created a terrific Google map you can use to discover which schools have partners and which schools need partners.
- We realize this map is not complete and we need your help gathering more data. If your church partners with a school, let us know and tell us what you do there to help!
- Collaboration among churches (the Body of Christ) is critical in order to see real change in our neighborhoods. If you find on the map that a church is partnering with a school near you, that doesn’t mean all of the schools needs are being met. As a matter of fact, every school in Spokane County could use more help.
- The map has some data in it that may not make sense to you, but is helpful to our committees. As we refine the map, we hope to make it more user-friendly for you.
You can find the map here: http://bit.ly/CLSmap
If you’d like to volunteer to serve on one of our two Churches Loving Schools committees (Spokane and Spokane Valley), we would welcome the help!
Spokane: contact Brian Grow (First Presbyterian) at BrianG@spokanefpc.org
Spokane Valley: contact Jenni Spedick (Sun City Church) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor Condon has designated April as Spokane Gives Month – calling on Spokane citizens to do active service projects throughout the month of April – and he has designated the first week as ‘Faith Week’.
C’mon Spokane Church! Let’s show our community how much we love them! (Living out “We love because he first loved us.” ~ 1 John 4:19)
The ‘Faith Week’ subcommittee has chosen to accomplish this request by impacting our local schools! ‘Faith Week’ happens to be Spring Break for most Spokane area schools (April 1-7). Spokane Public Schools has specifically told us that ‘staff appreciation’ is a high need!
We are asking Spokane church congregations to contact their local school to do some staff appreciation (we can help)! In particular, we zeroed in on gift bags or gift baskets. We plan to create a list of ideas for these baskets and get those ideas out to you. If you’d like to participate or plan to do so, please let us know at email@example.com
February Prayer Requests:
- Pray for our area schools – they need more mentors and class volunteers, and there are still 8,000 Spokane area kids going hungry every weekend.
- Pray that we are able to find volunteers to lead Churches Loving Schools efforts in their neighborhood schools and in other areas of Spokane County – Mead, Riverside, Cheney, and more.
- Pray that our Spokane area pastors have a heart to gather together in prayer.
- Pray that our efforts in local schools elevate children and families in Spokane and in so doing, the Gospel is reflected and shared.
- Pray that the Spokane Body of Christ willingly serves in amazing ways for ‘Faith Week’ and that God provides the increase!
Thank you for supporting the GSAE! Without the help of partners like you, we couldn’t do what we do!
All for Christ,
Anthony V. Carollo